What is Moxibustion? Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese medicine treatment that treats and prevents diseases by applying heat to certain points of the human body. Moxibustion involves igniting Mugwort (“moxa wool”) and placing it on the skin in order to help the heat penetrate into the skin and relieve the ailments.
The moxa wool comes in two different forms - moxa stick or moxa cone. The size of the moxa cone or duration of the moxa stick application should be parallel to the patients’ pathological conditions, general health, age and the site where the moxibustion is applied. The difference between the moxa cone and the moxa stick is that heat is easier to control during moxibustion with the moxa stick.
Functions & Benefits of Moxibustion
- - Warms the meridians and expels cold
- - Improves Qi (energy) and blood circulation
- - Prevents diseases
- - Maintains general health
- - Improves respiratory system issues like asthma and allergies
- - Helps relieve joint pain
- - Regulates menstruation
- - Stops bleeding in case of profuse menstrual bleeding
- - Helps correct the malposition of the fetus in pregnant women
- - Warms uterus and helps with fertility
Moxibustion can be combined with acupuncture treatment
to enhance its beneficial effects. In some cases, warm-needling which consists of placing a moxa cone on top of an acupuncture needles is used in order to relieve pain in case of cold and blood stagnation.
North Vancouver Acupuncture Clinic
To learn whether moxibustion treatment is right for you, book a consultation at Zahra Acupuncture. Zahra will be happy to assist you and answer any questions you may have. Our North Vancouver acupuncture clinic is conveniently located at Access Health & Wellness Centre, at Lonsdale Avenue.
>> Call today and book a consultation!